If cheese is your thing, put this one in your diary! The annual SA Cheese Festival, happening at Sandringham, just outside Stellenbosch, is one of the highlights on the Cape’s culinary calendar. With over 400 cheeses to sample, foodie celebs giving workshops and talks, gorgeous autumn weather, and lots of good stuff to drink – it’s no wonder this event gets 30 000 visitors each year.
You might want to make your way to Dairy Square, home to the Cheese Emporium and the Food Market, where you’ll find numerous small, medium and large cheeseries, and also an impressive variety of related products. It is also where you’ll be able to enjoy a good old cheese-carving competition. For recipe inspiration, head to the Cape Made Kitchen, and enjoy demonstrations by The Private Hotel School’s top chefs. Plus, there’ll be live music playing throughout both days.
New to this year’s festival is the Cooking Pot, where celebrity chefs such as Nataniël and Carmen Niehaus (YOU and Huisgenoot) will keep you entertianed. Or visit the Cheesery for all sorts of cheesy fun.
Not be missed is this year’s Standard Bank Tasting Room, with an exciting programme that includes wine-and-cheese tasting sessions; a cheese-and-beer experience with master brewers Tim Godfrey and Stephan Lotz; and a goat’s milk cheese discovery session, with celebrated chef Pete-Goffe Wood.
This is one for the fromage fan(atic)s: the first-ever Connoisseurs Experience! It’s aimed at aficionados seeking a bespoke experience. With only 100 tickets available for each day of the festival, it includes VIP parking and entrance, an exclusive Nataniël cooking demo, a meet-and-greet with the cheese makers, complimentary tastings and goodies, and a special mozzarella- and feta-making demo with Leon the Milkman.
• Your ticket into the festival doubles as a competition ticket, with the chance to win a Chevrolet UTE Force Bakkie
• This is an outdoor event: wear comfortable walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
• Bring a cooler bag for all your purchases.
• Wet wipes are a great help for sticky, cheesy fingers.
• There will be five ATMs on site (Standard Bank, Nedbank, Absa, FNB and Capitec)
• Outdoor parking is situated near the entrance.
• Bottled water and water dispensers are available.