Any Banter will tell you that the thing they miss most about being on the LCHF diet is pizza. But now Banting adherents can have their pizza and eat it, too – with Col’Cacchio’s newly introduced Banting Pizza, perfect for those on Tim Noakes’s LCHF diet.
The base is made from cauliflower, psyllium husks, egg and seasoning and comes on a slightly smaller-than-normal 21cm base. And because it’s not as sturdy as a standard pizza base, not all of Col’Cacchio’s famous toppings are available. Banters can choose from the following:
- Margherita: tomato base, mozzarella, herbs, R60
- Regina: ham, mushroom, R79
- Nacho Libre: jerk-spiced chicken, homemade guacamole, tomato-chilli salsa, coriander, sour cream, R103
- Foresta: salami, black mushroom, garlic, green pepper, feta, R103
- Morituri: seasoned chicken, bacon, avo, feta, roasted red pepper, R109
Each pizza is served with a side salad of lettuce, carrots, cucumber, egg, Parmesan and radish.
All Col’Cacchio branches stock these pizzas and the menus have been updated to include a symbol for Banting, indicating which items are suitable for Banters. I tried the Foresta Banting Pizza and found it to be extremely tasty and filling. You can hardly taste the cauliflower or psyllium husks and the delicious taste and quality of Col’Cacchio pizzas certainly shines through. I cannot wait to go back and try another one off the Banting menu.
Are you a serious Banter? Check out the Best Banting Restaurants in Cape Town.