Few things are more covetable than a steam-train ride through the countryside… And with the Ceres Steam Trains (namely Jessica, Bailey and Red Devil), you get the full train experience, complete with all the travelling comforts.
This family-friendly ride – which runs every second weekend on a Saturday – departs from the Royal Cape Yacht Club near the V&A Waterfront at 8am, and takes you through the Witzenberg region, past vineyards, olive groves, majestic mountains and fields of wheat and canola to the fruitful Ceres Valley.
Once on your way, you’ll enjoy comfortable lounge cars, hot beverages and savoury snacks in the Dining Car, or beer, bubbly, wine and soft drinks in the Bar Car, before arriving at your final destination: the steampunk-themed Elgin Railway Market, where a wonderful array of stalls and a magical atmosphere await.
Does this sound like the stuff of an Agatha Christie murder mystery? It need not be – we’re giving away a pair of tickets for the Ceres Steam Train, that includes a three-and-a-half-hour pitstop at the Elgin Railway Market plus vouchers valued at R4 500!
If you win this fabulous prize, your vouchers will include:
- Shelley Taylor Designs for beautiful jewellery
- SoVinhos for wine tastings
- JAC Crafts for rustic, upcycled wooden wineracks
- Ground Central Coffee Roastery for coffee (freshly brewed and ground to go, complete with your own bean grinder!)
- L-Gin Craft Gin for apple and blueberry gin cocktails
- J&J Sushi for family-sized sushi platters
- Splashh Smoothies & Juices for large smoothie or juice and a milkshake
- The Station Grill for a burger and chips
- Chilli Lingo Hot Sauce Company for a fiery sauce
- Bellicious Chocolate for a brownie and handmade marshmallows
- Ella’s Elgin Farm Food for a wholesome farm-style vetkoek breakfast and pancakes
- Flour + Love for two slices of homemade chocolate cake, a cup of tea, and eisbein with a cabbage salad and potato wedges
- Pudding & Pie for six lemon meringues
All that’s left to do – once your eating, drinking and shopping is complete – is to hop back onto the locomotive, as the valley streams past your window, and delivers you back to Cape Town at 5.30pm. But for now, simply enter below, and this amazing experience could be yours.
How to enter
Enter your email address in the form alongside, and you could be the lucky recipient of this spectacular prize. (You’ll also be subscribing to our free weekly newsletter.)
Ts & Cs
The winner’s name will be drawn on 25 September 2018, and the prize is redeemable for the trip on 29 September 2018. The total prize is valued at R6 000 (R1 500 for two Ceres Rail tickets, and R4 500 in vendor prizes) and includes a return trip aboard the Ceres Steam Train for two, plus a selection of vouchers from 13 vendors at the Elgin Railway Market.
This competition and its prizes are being offered by the Elgin Railway Market and the Ceres Railway Company, which is solely responsible for ensuring that the winner receives his/her prize. The Inside Guide shall not be liable to entrants of this competition for any prizes, loss or damage whatsoever and howsoever arising from the running, or otherwise, of this competition. The winner will be notified by email and should reply within 24 hours. Once we have received your email, we will put you in touch with the organisers to arrange your prize. Ts & Cs apply.
Win an additional entry
After you’ve entered, share this competition via the social media buttons that will appear in the right-hand sidebar on the top of the page, and your name will be re-entered into the draw.