These celebrated female chefs are creating feasts for your enjoyment at home every Thursday for the month of August.
This August, five kitchens and five wineries led by top female chefs and winemakers have joined forces to create a series of feasts that not only celebrate the Cape’s diverse culinary scene but also support the incredible women who work within it.
Every Thursday during August, you’ll be able to order an array of heavenly dishes for delivery to your door, each one lovingly prepared by feted Cape Town foodies. These menus and boxes will also be available for pickup at the various restaurants. (You can also order a selection of local wines – via each restaurant’s platform below – to be delivered as soon as the alcohol ban is lifted.)
In doing so, we’ll be satisfying our taste buds, and also strengthening the local food and wine industry by supporting predominantly women-run kitchens and the incredible culinary diversity our city has to offer.
There’s hardly been a tastier way to do so!
The females + their feasts
Christina Semczyszyn (Tjing Tjing Momiji) + Andrea Mullineux (Mullineux and Leeu Family Wines)
About This famed Japanese emporium on Longmarket Street is run by head chef Christina Semczyszyn who has put together an at-home kaiseki menu that includes a wine pairing by critically acclaimed winemaker Andrea Mullineux. Momiji & Mullineux For Two is a six-course Japanese tasting experience.
- mukozuke (sesame-seared tuna; locally sourced sashimi with chive and ginger paste; futomaki; buchu-pickled ginger; wasabi; and kumquat ponzu)
- hassun (rabbit kare pan and carrot chutney)
- takiawase (seasonal vegetables from the garden, prepared in a variety of different ways)
- yakimono (grilled Wagyu tongue; braised daikon flower; and pickled waterblommetjies)
- gohan (slow-cooked lamb rib; nettle and rice with house-made dashi)
- mizumono (milk bread pudding taiyaki; rum raisins and bay-leaf custard)
- kitto katsu (bergamot; almond; and dark chocolate)
Suggested wine pairing Andrea’s Old Vines white 2019, syrah 2017 or Mullineux Straw Wine 2018.
Cost R695 for two (R395 to add a third diner)
Contact 021 422 4920/4374, email@example.com
Amy-Jo Windt (Jason Bakery) + Christa von La Chevallerie (Huis Van Chevallerie Wines)
About Head pastry chef at esteemed locale Jason Bakery in Green Point, Amy-Jo Windt has teamed up with Christa von La Chevallerie – one of the country’s leading female winemakers from her estate in the Riebeek Valley – to create a delectable two-course meal for four.
Christa von La Chevallerie
- Spanish chicken pie for four (free-range chicken pie with smoked paprika, red and yellow peppers, tomato, green olives and chorizo)
- caramelised white chocolate mille-feuille; caramelised white chocolate custard and candied pecan nuts
Julia Hattingh (Reverie Social Table) + Jeanine Craven (Craven Wines)
About Chef Julia Hattingh has been hosting fabulous dinner parties in Observatory for almost five years, and is joined by Stellenbosch-based winemaker Jeanine Craven to create a wholesome dining experience.
Sepial Shim (Sepial’s Kitchen) + Jessica Saurwein (Saurwein Wines)
About Head chef of Sepial’s Kitchen in Salt River, Sepial Shim has created a Korean-style hansang (one-person table setting with various small dishes) that pairs beautifully with winemaker Jessica Saurwein’s Chi riesling 2019. (It also happens to be one of the chef and winemaker’s favourites.)
- whole baby daikon radish kimchi (using organic radishes grown by Iming Lin of Meuse Farm in Hout Bay) using sea-lettuce salt
- sea lettuce in salt (harvested by Hilda Adams, who is working on reviving public interest in indigenous ingredients)
- folded chicken and herb mandoo (dumplings) in chicken consommé
- miyeok (Korean seaweed) and cucumber salad dressed with roasted chilli oil and soy-sauce vinaigrette
- root vegetable tempura (served with homemade persimmon kombucha vinegar dipping sauce)
- beef short ribs braised with mushrooms and kombu (a type of seaweed)
- steamed rice cake with lotus leaf tea
Suggested wine pairing Chi riesling 2019.
Cost R480 for two
Contact 061 715 9371
Liezl Odendaal + Lisa Knipe (Janse & Co) + Clarise Sciocatti-Langeveldt (Hazendal)
About Head pastry chef Liezl Odendaal and sous chef Lisa Knipe of Janse & Co have created a seasonally driven menu featuring locally sourced ingredients and a nonalcoholic aperitif. The four-course menu pairs spectacularly with a selection of wines from Hazendal vineyards, chosen by winemaker Clarise Sciocatti-Langeveldt.
- beetroot focaccia; camembert and golden-beetroot whipped butter and fish floss with olive oil butter and a beetroot kvass aperitif
- potato gnocchi with wild mushrooms, truffle shavings, waterblommetjies and oxalis
- confit duck leg, num num and persimmon glaze wrapped in savoy cabbage with Cape Malay pickled artichokes
- custard apple, almond, pelargonium and white chocolate terrine
Suggested wine pairing Hazendal’s 2017 chardonnay with the potato gnocchi. And, Hazendal 2017 pinot noir paired with the confit duck.
Cost R375 per person
Contact 021 422 0384, firstname.lastname@example.org
Order via email
Are you hosting an event in the Cape? We and our readers would love to know about it. Get in touch with us at email@example.com