Cape Town’s innercity is abuzz with activity on the first Thursday of every month when Capetonians (and visitors) wander through the various galleries and stores, which stay open until 9pm.
To start off your evening, grab a map of the city at your first stop, which is any one of the participating galleries so that you can plot out your route. Some of our favourite participating shops and galleries include the City Bowl Market on Hope Street, the Book Lounge on Roeland Street, Michaelis Galleries at UCT’s Hiddingh Campus on Orange Street and Youngblood Gallery and Beautifull Food.
Our picks for 5 July 2018 include:
- AN II OTHERs by Kgomotso Neto at Youngblood Gallery and Beautifull Food
- Live performance by Amy Jones at The Grand Daddy Boutique Hotel
- Me and Ms Lily by Robert Nazou at Alliance Française du Cap
- The African Dream by Othmane Zolati at East Urban Building ( Cafe Colombia)
- live performance by Los Tacos at Harringtons Cocktail Lounge
- Encounters a group show at SMITH
- Amaqaba vol. 1 by Xhanti Zwelendaba and Inga Somdyala at Eclectica Print Gallery and Eclectica Contemporary
HOT NEW RESTAURANTS
Are you in the Stellenbosch area? Then don’t miss First Fizzdays.
About First Thursdays
The brainchild of Gareth Pearson, who first experienced this concept in Zurich, First Thursdays is great way for locals to enjoy the city’s cultural richness, which has in recent years promulgated in the area between Wale and Strand streets. The main hub is concentrated in that vicinity, with a few galleries, boutiques and shops in Bree and Buitensingel streets also partaking and continues to expand to the rest of the city centre.