If you’ve ever enjoyed an open-air concert at Kirstenbosch, you’ll agree that there are few better ways to celebrate summer in the Mother City (and wind down the weekend). And now, for the 13th instalment, the Cape Town Folk ‘n Acoustic Music Festival is back – in the majesty of these world-renowned gardens, with a star-studded lineup of some of SA’s best-loved musicians heating things up.
What sets this gig apart is not only the lineup of so many famous names, but also the wonderfully eclectic mashup of styles that they’ll be bringing to the stage. From folk, Balkan, country and roots to West African folk and blues, indie rock and as some of South Africa’s most celebrated musical storytellers collaborate on stage.
The 2019 Cape Town Folk ’n Acoustic Music Festival lineup
This year’s festival is dedicated to the memory of Philip Le Roux, who served as the curator of the gardens from 1987 until 2018 , and was instrumental in making the Kirstenbosch Summer Concerts the success that it is. He sadly passed away in a cycling accident in December 2018.
The following musicians will be mashing things up:
- Arno Carstens: solo rock artist, and frontman of Springbok Nude Girls
- Femi Koya: West African Afrobeat and Jazz artist
- Qadasi and Maqhinga: acoustic duo from Empangeni
- Ard Matthews: acoustic-rock musician, and former frontman of Just Jinjer
- BYRNN: alternative folk band formed from Cape Town
- Keren Lindley: acoustic singer from Cape Town
- Jeremy Olivier: soul musician from Zimbabwe
- Ben Dey And The Concrete Lions: rock band from Cape Town
- Manny Walters: electric rhythm and blues artist
- AnecNote: a cappella group from Cape Town
Rob Piper Photography
So, if like us, you love a good mashup – and being outdoors on Sunday evenings in summer – join us at this festive gig.