The grand old British Isles might not be as well known for its culinary contributions as, say, its continental neighbours, but there’s no denying the satisfaction of a good old Sunday roast – especially when it’s done right.
British-born chef Matt Manning is bringing this much loved, iconic dish to Grub & Vine on Bree Street. Every Sunday, from now until the beginning of spring, you’ll find him serving up a sumptuous five-course feast (though you can opt for the three-course or two-course option if you prefer), with all the hallmarks of the traditional Sunday lunch, including a hearty roast meat dish, crispy golden potatoes and rich gravy. Just the thing to warm you up this winter.
Sunday Grub at Grub & Vine: What’s on the menu
The menu changes weekly, but will generally feature a creamy soup with homemade bread as a starter; fish and vegetable courses; followed by the roast of the day (either lamb, pork belly, chicken or beef) served with gravy and potatoes; and finally, a dessert to top it all off.
Here’s a sample menu, so you have an idea of what to expect:
- First course Mushroom soup served with French buns
- Vegetable course Ricotta gnudi, tomato petals, parsley yoghurt, smoked aubergine
- Fish course Pan-fried angelfish, Jerusalem artichoke, saffron and mussel sauce
- Main course Roasted pork fillet, braised pork neck, caper and raisin purée, braised radish, pork crackling and mustard sauce, served with honey roasted carrots, roast potatoes, baked beetroot, parsnips and sprouts
- Dessert Lemon tart, Swiss meringue, served with a strawberry and oat biscuit; or a selection of South African cheeses (additional cost of R90)
Sounds like the stuff Cape Town Sundays in winter are made of.
About Grub & Vine
Offering beautifully prepared dishes that taste even better than they look, Grub & Vine is chef Matt Manning’s first foray into the restaurant scene. “Small, vibey, honest, unpretentious” is how the Essex-born chef describes the 40-seater Bree Street haunt, whose open-view galley allows diners to watch the chefs at work.
Opening times Tuesday – Friday, 12pm – 2:30 pm; 6pm – 9.45pm
Saturday, 4.30pm – 9.45pm
Also on offer at Grub & Vine
- Four-course dinner special, until 30 September 2019
- Grub & Vine’s winter lunch special, until 30 September 2019
- Cooking classes at The Chef’s Studio