Culture vultures and bon vivants, this is one festival you do not want to miss. Ten days of exhibitions, shows, recitals, workshops and demonstrations in the dreamy seaside village of Hermanus, where members of the public can soak up the scene, and learn new skills.
As with previous years, music fans will be well catered for with an exciting lineup of performers. The Opening Concert will be performed by South Africa’s leading baroque orchestra, Camerata Tinta Barocca, featuring soloists Erik Dippenaar (harpsichord), Annien Shaw (baroque violin), Bridget Rennie-Salonen (traverso) and Emile de Roubaix (baroque viola). The Closing Concert will be performed by the rousing Cape Town Concert Brass, a collection of dedicated amateur musicians configured as a traditional English Brass Band, best known for performing Carols by Candlelight at Kirstenbosch Gardens.
Some of the other 2018 highlights include:
- An exhibition of new works by Kate Gottgens, the 2018 Festival Artist. The exhibition is curated by Marilyn Martin and will take place in the new FynArts Gallery in The Courtyard, Harbour Road
- A Feast of Opera and Operetta performed by Cecilia Rangwanasha and Johannes Slabbert with the FynArts Festival Choir and Orchestra, conducted by Richard Cock in the Dutch Reformed Church, Onrus (R160 – R220)
- A series of photography workshops including an advanced cellphone photography course at the Windsor Hotel (R275)
- A Bordeaux-blend barrel-tasting with winemaker Wilhelm Pienaar at Hermanuspietersfontein Cellar (R140)
- A series of cooking demonstrations by creative cooks at the United Church Hall, including Gregory Czarnecki, head chef at the Restaurant at Waterkloof (R120)
- The Hermanus FynArts Legacy Award Recipient 2018 will be awarded posthumously to Hugh Masekela and accepted by his sister Barbara Masekela and will include a photographic tribute to the late musician in the Municipal Auditorium (R120)
Whether you’re into ceramics, food, photography, painting, literature, music or sculpture, the exciting programme has a varied list of activities, where you can either learn a skill from a master or simply sit back and be entertained.
060 957 5371