Celebrate the season at one of the most relaxed festivals in the Winelands. Robertson Wine on the River is all about chilling and enjoying the breathtaking natural beauty of the region with top-class wine and delicious food.
For this, its 14th iteration, festival-goers have the opportunity of tasting wines from over 23 wine farms in the region, making this one of the biggest wine festivals in the Cape.
Vino valley: What to expect from Wine on the River 2019
The idyllic riverside setting has a wonderful lineup of varied activities, attractions and facilities:
- Food stalls selling local produce and hearty country dishes. Fill up a basket and enjoy a picnic on the banks of the Breede River.
- A dedicated children’s area with activities for all ages.
- Wine, obviously, available for on-site and off-side consumption, at cellar prices.
- A relaxing boat cruise down the Breede River (R60).
- Live music performances throughout the festival.
- A Wine Theatre offering unique wine-tastings and food-pairings, hosted by wine-loving radio presenter Jon Meinking, and food-and-wine educator Wanda Cronje (R100).
- A safari tour that departs from the festival daily at 1pm for Esona Boutique Wines, where guests can enjoy an interesting wine-confectionery-music-art-pairing experience in an atmospheric candle-lit cellar, before returning to the festival site at 2.30pm (R250, contact 081 740 0145 or Info@winevalleysafari.com to book).
- MTB & Trail Adventure at Van Loveren Family Vineyards on 12 October 2019, which you can enter at the Java MTB website.
- Free wi-fi available from Breedenet, so you can upload all your Insta pics.
Festival tickets are available online from Howler, and you have the option of booking for specific days, or getting a full weekend pass. Activities such as the boat cruise, Wine Theatre and shuttle services must be booked separately.
Breede River camping experience
For those seeking an overnight adventure in the Robertson Wine Valley, Wine on the River is offering a special weekend package that includes two nights’ luxury tented accommodation (with breakfast and coffee) for two people at Riggton River Farm, two weekend passes to the festival, wine-tasting coupons, a boat cruise, and transport to and from the festival site, all for just R3 000. Contact Wine on the River at the details provided to book this package.
Wine on the River Shuttle Service
Wine on the River supports responsible behaviour, and thus provides transport for those who want to avoid drinking and driving. The shuttle service will pick up guests at designated meeting points in five towns throughout the Robertson Wine Valley (McGregor, Bonnievale, Robertson, Montague and Ashton), and run return trips from 3pm onward (2pm on Sunday).
Get the VIP treatment at Wine on the River
Wine on the River is offering a special VIP experience (only 50 tickets available), which includes:
- one-day access to the festival site
- reserved shaded seating in the Nedbank VIP Lounge (with a hostess)
- VIP parking
- refreshments and exclusive restrooms
- a bread and cheese farmer’s table
- a Riedel wine glass and holder
- six wine tasters per winery
- one food-and-wine pairing, and one wine-tasting, at the Wine Theatre
Whether you opt for the VIP treatment, or regular festival tickets, don’t miss out on a weekend of riverside revelry, at one of the premier wine festivals on the calendar!
023 626 3167