If you haven’t yet been to the City Bowl Market on Hope, add it to your market meander. This weekly food fair happens on Thursday evenings and is a veritable feast of homemade grub, craft beer and good wine.
The Wine Market is what grabbed our attention… largely because wine-tasting in the city centre is always fun, plus the market’s two wine traders offer organic wines (read: no hangover!). For a small price, you can acquire a tasting glass with nine tastings from the participating vendors, after which you get a free glass of wine of your choice.
Live music performances take place between 6.30pm and 8.30pm, adding to the vibrant atmosphere and providing exciting local talent with an opportunity to shine.
In summer, pop by for fresh fruit and vegetables, Nutella-filled pancakes, vibrant salads, and vegan quiche. Cold winter nights are the perfect time to drop by for croissants, coffee and some of the market’s famous waffles.
Stand-out traders include:
- Ramen Noodles for Asian broths
- Davy Croquettes for homemade croquettes
- Beer on Tap
- Lisa’s Lush Salads
- La Petite Moo Brownies for chocolate treats
- The Diner Hamburgers & Hotdogs
- Durban’s Finest Curry
- The Gluten for gluten-free chocolate brownies and cakes
- The Secret Pot for pancakes filled with Nutella chocolate
- The Soap Chef for skin-soothing handmade soaps and body lotions