Set against the Langeberg Mountains, the Klein Karoo town of Montagu has both pastoral and high-street appeal, with vineyards and orchards punctuating the landscape, and a town centre lined with shops, cafés and art galleries.
Offering an undeniable sense of escapism and tranquility, it’s no wonder Hanno and Martly Calitz decided to create STIL – an escape for those wishing to experience the striking surrounds in a spectacular spot.
A curated experience
Guest experience is at the heart of STIL’s offering. As such, visitors have the option of being left to their own devices in complete privacy, or may choose a curated itinerary.
The itinerary includes private catering, guided hikes, rock climbing, mountain-biking, art classes, bubbly and wine tastings and more. There is also a small, experienced team of beauty therapists available, offering a carefully considered menu of skincare and body treatments designed for relaxation and rejuvenation that can be pre-booked.
With two fireplaces (one in the bedroom and one in the lounge), STIL is also perfect for a romantic winter getaway. Escape Cape Town’s rainy season, and relish blue skies, long walks and towering mountains all around.
Hanno and Martly’s love of art is evident; they’ve transformed the surrounding wild grass into an ever-evolving sculpture garden (featuring several intricate works by renowned South African artist Anton Smit) that fits seamlessly with the home’s white-painted walls, terracotta floors and wooden accents. It’s certainly a dream destination for those who love architecture, art and design.
Designed for two adults and a child, STIL offers a wonderfully intimate place for couples or small families to kick back and enjoy one other’s company in style. The interiors are contemporary yet soft-edged, with a wonderful indoor-outdoor flow. What’s more, you can also bring your fur children, as STIL is proudly pet-friendly.
- one bedroom with a king-size bed and indoor fireplace (cot or mattress for children on request)
- en-suite bathroom with a shower
- open-plan interior with a lounge, fully equipped kitchen, and dining area with an indoor fireplace
- selection of carefully curated books
- outdoor patio with a seating area, two umbrellas and a Weber braai
- view-drenched rooftop area
- air conditioning in the bedroom and lounge-dining area
- complimentary wifi
While you’re there
- hiking and mountain-biking trails
- culinary experiences at STIL or in town (walking distance)
- ghost tour
- wine and bubbly tastings
- pampering (massages, reflexology and body therapies)
- rock climbing
- local farmers’ market
- guided town tour
- day excursions to nearby smalltowns of McGregor, Barrydale, Swellendam and Robertson
- dried fruit, olives and medicinal herb experiences
- hot springs
- art meander to galleries and studio
- art classes
- breakfast, lunch and dining options
“Our dream was to design a private and tranquil getaway catering to guests’ individual needs,” say the owners. Well, they certainly got that right!
Distance from Cape Town 2.5 hours
Child friendly? Yes
Pet friendly? Yes
Where to find it 1A Bath Street, Montagu, Western Cape
Cost Launch rate special: R1 900 per night (excluding Friday + Saturday)
R2 900 per night (Friday + Saturday)
Minimum two-night stay.
Valid 1 May 2021 – 31 August 2021
Longer stays of minimum 7 days are also possible at an additional 15% discount.
Discover all of the Cape’s hidden gems – subscribe to our weekly newsletter.