On the last weekend of March 2019, the Mother City will once again become a hive of activity when the 20th edition of the internationally acclaimed Cape Town International Jazz Festival (CTIJF) kicks off.
IT’S TIME TO GET JAZZY
Music fans, jazz lovers and festinos (festival-goers) can expect two days of world-class music from international jazz greats and emerging stars alike, all happening at the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC).
Here’s just a few of the artists who will be gracing the stage(s) in 2019:
- Chaka Khan (USA) The “Queen of Funk” and 10-time Grammy-award winner, whose decade-spanning career has produced legendary hits like “I’m Every Woman” and “I Feel For You”.
- Shekhinah (SA) Hailing from Durban, the young artist has won three SAMAs for her debut album Rosegold, as well as an MTV Africa Music Award.
- Eliane Elias (Brazil) A multi-Grammy-award-winning artist, whose Latin-inspired music has ranked #1 on worldwide jazz and Brazilian music charts.
- BCUC (Bantu Continua Uhuru Consciousness) (SA) A live-performing music band from Soweto, whose music makes for an inspired combination of indigenous influences, rap and rock ’n’ roll.
- Soweto Gospel Choir (SA) South Africa’s national treasure won an Emmy Award for its collaboration with Bono and U2, and earned an Academy Award nomination for its recording with Peter Gabriel on the PIxar film Wall E.
- The Lady Day Big Band (SA) South Africa’s first all-female 20-piece big band features Lana Crowster as vocalist, and effectively combines contemporary styles with traditional big band sounds to produce a unique musical experience.
FREE FOR ALL
Every year, before the main festival kicks off, the festival organisers invite Capetonians to enjoy a free concert on Greenmarket Square, allowing everyone who does not have tickets to the main festival an opportunity to experience a taste of these world-class performers free of charge. The date for 2019’s concert has not been released yet, but if you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll let you know when it is.