We’re well-acquainted with craft beer, and have gotten to know gin rather well, but now it’s time to present the real life of the party… tequila!
Actually, this party-boosting spirit hardly needs an introduction in this neck of the woods – South Africa is, after all, the world’s fourth-largest market for tequila; and the Mother City South Africa’s most prolific consumer.
And, now, we have an opportunity to explore this intoxicating Mexican spirit in all its incarnations at Cape Town’s first-ever Tequila Festival.
Bringing the spirit of Mexico to Cape Town
This three-day Mexican-inspired fiesta takes place from 1 to 3 November 2019, in time for summer. In addition to 30 kinds of tequila, mezcal and other agave spirits, there’ll be food, drinks, live music and cocktail-making masterclasses.
Here are just a few examples of what you can look forward to at this spirit-fuelled fiesta:
- live music performances from Prime Circle and The Kiffness (on 1 November), as well as Afrikaans rap sensation, Biggy on 2 November, and a host of supporting bands, including The Guy is Alive, The Vanilla Colts and Upper Mill
- food trucks and cocktail bars
- Mexican cook-offs
- food-and-spirit pairings
- tequila tasting, with a host of global brands on offer (as well as South Africa’s very own Karoo Agave Distilleries)
- live agave-processing to demonstrate how tequila is made
- masterclasses where you’ll learn how to make tequila cocktails
- mechanical bull-riding
How to book your Tequila Festival tickets
Tickets to the festival can be purchased online, and include a free shooter glass, plus at least eight tequila-tasting vouchers (that can be used for 7.5ml–10ml spirit tasters or 30–35ml cocktail tasters)
The early bird catches the tequila! So get your early-bird tickets (from R150 to R235) while they last (standard three-day pass costs R399).
Then there’s the VIP package (R1 600 for one person; R9 000 for six) which includes bar-tab vouchers, a two-course meal from Nomad Bistro, tickets for masterclasses, and front-section dance-floor access.
So get your lemon and salt at the ready, and get into the spirit of tequila!
Hamilton Rugby Club
1 Stephen Way