Harvest festivals throughout the world have a long and illustrious tradition, driven by the natural cycle of the seasons. And, in the Cape Winelands, as the fruit of the vine delivers its bounty at the end of summer, the time-honoured harvest tradition delights wine-lovers and fun-seeking festival-goers.
This annual event at Nederburg Wines in Paarl offers festival-goers a chance to experience the initial stages of the wine-making process firsthand, and then taste the previous years’ vintage. Visitors will be able to pick and stomp grapes, while getting some inside knowledge on the current harvest.
This year, KFM’s Carl Wastie will be hosting the evening, and guests can look forward to a sensational live performance from local band Kaleidoskoop while enjoying a bountiful harvest feast on the lawns in front of Nederburg’s historic Manor House.
- Guests will receive a glass of Nederburg’s refreshing MCC on arrival.
- You’ll then be shown a selection of grape varieties, and you’ll have the chance to taste grape must (a freshly crushed fruit juice, usually grape juice, that still contains the skins, seeds and stems of the fruit) before it becomes wine.
- Then it’s time for grape-picking in the vineyards, followed by grape-stomping (the traditional wine-making method).
- Get into the groove with an upbeat performance from local band Kaleidoskoop.
- End off with a sumptuous feast, prepared by Johnny Hamman and Marius Uys of Slippery Spoon Kitchen, of family-style platters laden with mezze, meats, salads and vegetables – as well as delectable desserts!
Good to know
- Adult tickets (R650) include a glass of Nederburg MCC on arrival, the harvest experience in the vineyards, live entertainment, the harvest feast, one bottle of wine from Nederburg’s The Winemasters range, and service charge. Children’s tickets (R200) include a soft drink, juice or water on arrival, the harvest experience in the vineyards, live entertainment, the harvest feast, and service charge.
- Guests are advised to wear hats, sunscreen, comfortable clothing and shoes.
- A wide range of Nederburg wines will be available for purchase, along with soft drinks, mineral waters, coffee and tea.
It’s bound to be a harvest festival you won’t soon forget.
Nederburg Wine Farm
021 862 3104