Dining al fresco with friends and family is one of summer’s simple pleasures, particularly in a city like Cape Town, which is blessed with a sprinkling of breathtaking wine farms, whose spectacular settings and award-winning wines elevate picnicking to the next level.
One such winery is Cape Point Vineyards, a treasured destination in the Noordhoek Valley, whose year-round picnics mean you can laze on the lawn and enjoy superb food and wine with killer views of the ocean stretching before you.
As the only wine estate on the Cape Peninsula that offers 360-degree views of mountains, fynbos, vineyards and dazzling sunsets over the Atlantic Ocean, every picnic spot is guaranteed a breathtaking view (and a winning Instagram shot).
Alas, no picnic is complete without the perfect props. And CPV supplies all of those: soft blankets, cosy pillows and charming wicker hampers. Add a tranquil dam, with coots paddling between the reeds, a variety of summer wines to choose from, and a view overlooking the unspoilt stretch of Noordhoek beach, and you’ll soon understand why they’re celebrated as one of the best gourmet picnics in town.
As for where you’ll set up camp, that is the toughest decision you will make all day. Choose from three areas of the estate:
- Family picnic area: for some welcome shade and easy access to the jungle gym
- Mid-level picnic lawns: ideal for larger groups, with unhindered ocean views
- Next to the dam: for those seeking seclusion away from the crowds; no kids allowed
What’s in the picnic basket?
Pre-ordered picnic baskets include:
- bobotie wraps
- chicken waldorf salad
- seasonal vegetable quiche
- charcuterie selection and olives
- tomato compote
- camembert with honeyed nuts
- fresh ciabatta loaf
- decadent brownies with seasonal berries
Good to know
- Picnic baskets must be booked in advance
- Kids may order on the day from the kiddies’ menu
- Your waiter will assist you with drinks and other refreshments
- Spaces are available to pre-select if you are a group of 12 people or more