Laze on the lawns and savour an unforgettable gourmet picnic at this lush wine estate in Noordhoek.
Dining al fresco with friends and family is one of summer’s simple pleasures, particularly in a city like Cape Town, which is blessed with a sprinkling of breathtaking wine farms, whose spectacular settings and award-winning wines elevate picnicking to the next level.
One such winery is Cape Point Vineyards, a treasured destination in the Noordhoek Valley, whose year-round picnics mean you can laze on the lawn and enjoy superb food and wine with killer views of the ocean stretching before you.
As the only wine estate on the Cape Peninsula that offers 360-degree views of mountains, fynbos, vineyards and dazzling sunsets over the Atlantic Ocean, every picnic spot is guaranteed a breathtaking view (and a winning Instagram shot).
Alas, no picnic is complete without the perfect props. And CPV supplies all of those: soft blankets, cosy pillows and charming wicker hampers. Add a tranquil dam, with coots paddling between the reeds, a variety of summer wines to choose from, and a view overlooking the unspoilt stretch of Noordhoek beach, and you’ll soon understand why it’s celebrated as one of the best gourmet picnics in town.
As for where you’ll set up camp, that is the toughest decision you will make all day. Choose from three areas of the estate:
- Family picnic area: for some welcome shade and easy access to the jungle gym
- Mid-level picnic lawns: ideal for larger groups, with unhindered ocean views
- Next to the dam: for those seeking seclusion away from the crowds; no kids allowed
What’s in the picnic basket?
Pre-ordered picnic baskets include:
- bobotie wraps
- chicken Waldorf salad
- seasonal vegetable quiche
- freshly baked ciabatta
- olive tapenade
- selection of charcuterie and olives
- camembert with caramelised nuts
- chocolate brownie with seasonal berries
Good to know
- Picnic baskets must be booked in advance.
- Kids may order on the day from the kiddies’ menu. Please make note of the number of children in the booking notes to avoid an adult charge.
- Your waiter will assist you with drinks and other refreshments.
- Spaces are available to pre-select if you are a group of 12 people or more.
Want to know what else is happening in Cape Town? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and be the first to know.