It’s no secret that the Cape has become a foodie hotspot of note, with a rich array of culinary experiences to suit all palates – from charcuterie to cheese to coffee, beer and wine. Only problem is, getting a taste of everything in a short space of time, could prove tricky. Unless, of course, there was a tour that allowed you to do exactly that…
Enter Foodie Thursdays, an eight-hour amble through Cape Town Central that includes stops at various foodie hubs. Whether it’s the colourful spices of the Bo-Kaap, the buzz of Bree Street or the greenery of the Company’s Garden, each stop on this tour showcases not just an aspect of the Cape culinary scene, but a piece of its rich heritage as well.
The tour includes the services of a professional driver, who will pick you up from a location of your choice in city centre.
Then your culinary adventure begins…
- Coffee Tasting at one of the many artisan coffee roasters in Cape town, where you’ll learn about different brewing methods, and try out the results for yourself.
- A walk through the Company’s Garden, where the early Dutch settlers planted fruit and vegetable gardens to feed their growing colonies.
- Craft beer or gin, and chocolate tasting in Woodstock – Cape Town’s vibrant up-and-coming district, where the Old Biscuit Mill is situated.
- Sampling of some traditional African food at an authentic little cafe.
- Transport back to the city, where you’ll take a walk down Bree Street, a buzzing strip where cool restaurants and hip bars sit cheek by jowl with chic boutiques and panelbeaters.
- A visit to the Bo Kaap, famous for its colourful buildings and wide array of spices, as well as traditional delicacies like samoosas and koesisters.
- Then it’s back to Bree Street for a cheese-and-wine pairing, featuring wines sourced from some of the Cape’s most illustrious vineyards.
Along the way, you’ll get to chat to some of the coffee roasters, chocolatiers and cheesemakers who have helped make the Cape Town food scene what it is.
Please note Cape Food and Wine Tours can cater for vegetarians, but not for vegan, halaal, gluten-free, or lactose-free diets. However, this itinerary can be done as a Private Tour, which can accommodate all and any dietary requirements.