’Tis the season to pick cherries!
The Koue Bokkeveld has the rare, perfect climate in South Africa for cherries. For a small window of time, from the end of November until the end of December, cherries are ripe for picking. It’s when Klondyke Farm near Ceres opens its doors to everyone to come and enjoy a fun-filled (and rewarding) day outdoors in this fruitful valley. It’s become a beloved tradition since the first public harvest back in 1973.
How it works
Visitors are given a container (approximating 1kg), which they can fill with delicious juicy fruits. Give yourself at least an hour in the orchards to find and pick red and yellow cherries. Then, have your bounty weighed (cherries cost R80 per kilogram), and then you’re free to go and enjoy them!
Make a day of it: pack a picnic (no braais) and spend the rest of the day enjoying the “fruits of your labour” in the cool shade of a pine tree! You can even book Cherry Cottage, near the orchards, to stay the night.
Good to know
- The farm is cashless.
- Arrive before 10.30am and get in for half price. (As if picking fresh cherries for breakfast wasn’t appealing enough already!)
- Large groups (in busses) by appointment only.
- The farm can get windy, so bring a jersey or windbreaker. Wear closed shoes with firm soles.
- Cherry-picking takes place every day (except Christmas) until end-December. Phone ahead to check availability of cherries if you plan to visit from mid-December).
- The farm is pet friendly, including the accommodation (2 cottages and a farmhouse).
Date 24 November 2023 – 1 January 2024
Times 8.30am – 4.15pm
Cost R40 entry (anyone over 10 years old)
R20 ( younger than 10 years)
R80 per kilogram of cherries
Contact 087 550 0232, email@example.com
Address R46 (Bo-Swaarmoed Road), Ceres, Western Cape
While you’re in the area
Cherry-picking in Ceres makes a great day trip from Cape Town. It’s a two-hour drive there, so why not enjoy some other local attractions:
- a Ceres zipline adventure
- the Homegrown Market & Cafe
- river-pool swimming and hiking at Matroosberg Nature Reserve
- craft beers at Ceres Brewery + craft ciders at Loxtonia Cider
- organic wine-tasting and a restaurant meal at Waverley Hills
Discover all of the Cape’s hidden gems – subscribe to our weekly newsletter.