It’s one of Cape Town’s premier cultural attractions, and now Norval Foundation has added yet another wonderful experience to its offering: picnics in the sculpture garden. With awe-inspiring mountain views creating a soothing backdrop, guests can enjoy a delicious, South African-inspired picnic hamper in the garden amid striking sculptures.
Picnics at Norval Foundation Restaurant
Named after legendary South African artist and teacher Cecil Skotnes, Norval Foundation’s Skotnes Restaurant and Bar offers a diverse menu with breakfast, lunch and dinner options.
Overlooking the sculpture garden, the restaurant’s kiosk offers takeaway coffee, Italian ice cream, and picnic baskets packed with fresh, locally sourced produce.
Options include the South African Classic (R320 for two) and the Gourmet Picnic (R600 for two). In the South African Classic hamper you’ll find
- chicken mayonnaise vetkoek
- bobotie samoosas
- rainbow coleslaw
- two dips and crudités
- seasonal fruit salad
The Gourmet hamper includes some additional treats, such as cheesecake, raspberry hertzoggies (a jam-filled pastry with coconut topping), and a cheese selection with compote.
With a mix of elegant architecture and mountain views as your backdrop, it’s a picnic experience to rival those on offer in the winelands.
Elle Decor South Africa
Good to know
- Vegetarian and gluten-free options are available on request.
- Norval Foundation’s picnics are only available during the summer months (November to February).
- Picnics must be booked a minimum of two days in advance.
- The cost of admission to Norval Foundation’s museum is included in the price of the picnic.
- Members of Norval Foundation receive discounted prices on picnics.