Surrounded by mountains and vineyards, Norval Foundation is home to a beautifully manicured organic garden where generous, fresh picnic hampers can be enjoyed throughout the year.
What’s in the basket?
Elle Decor South Africa
Named after legendary South African artist and teacher Cecil Skotnes, Norval Foundation’s on-site Skotnes Restaurant and Bar is open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Helmed by executive chef Phil de Villiers, who interprets traditional South African flavours and ingredients in a contemporary way, the restaurant overlooks the striking sculpture garden, and has a small kiosk attached that serves takeaway coffee, Italian ice cream, and picnic baskets.
The standard basket features a delicious variety that includes:
- quiche of the day
- potato-salad skewers
- chicken wrap with marinated vegetables
- smoked salmon pâté with homemade crackers
- orecchiette pasta salad with tomatoes, basil pesto, peas and green olives
- Chrisna-marinated olives
- peri-peri mixed nuts
- seasonal sweet tartlets
- cheese selection
Vegetarian picnics and children’s baskets (0 – 12 years) are also available.
View the menu.
Art and about
Only five bookings are taken daily, so you’ll feel as though you have the artful garden all to yourself!
Good to know
- Cost includes admission to Norval Foundation’s museum, sculpture garden and parking ticket.
- Members of Norval Foundation receive discounted prices on picnics.
- Beverages are not included in the cost.
- Pre-booking is essential and must be done 48 hours in advance.
- Please bring your own blankets and cushions.
- Norval Foundation also offers proposal packages, available on request. The package includes a night’s stay in the apartment at Norval Foundation, and a champagne breakfast the following day.