Experience Cape Town's most iconic landmark.
A ride up our famous cable car is one of the very best ways to experience Cape Town in all her majesty, and yet it’s still on the bucket list of so many Capetonians, who have yet to enjoy the thrill. Looking for an opportunity to do so? We have just the ticket!
Cable car Birthday Special
On the day of your birthday, or the month of, South African ID holders are eligible for a free return ticket on the cable car. This special is applicable for South African residents only, so you’ll need your ID number when booking online, and your ID document when purchasing at the gate. A valid ID or birth certificate is required for children younger than 16 years.
Tickets should be collected from the ticket office at the Lower Station before 2.30pm.
Many locals complain of the steep fare charged to use the cableway. The good news is that Capetonians can purchase a Cable Card (R850, valid for one year) that entitles us to use the cableway every day for a year from the date of purchase. You can visit as often as you like, but are limited to one return trip per day. No refunds will be issued on cable cards.
Cost R850 (adults); R420 (children)
Rates valid until 30 September 2021
|Ticket Type||Time||Return||One Way|
|Morning: Adults||8am – 1pm||R380||R200|
|Morning: Kids (4 – 17 years)||8am – 1pm||R190||R100|
|Afternoon: Adults||1pm – until close||R300||R200|
|Afternoon: Kids (4 – 17 years)||1pm – until close||R150||R100|
|SA Senior citizens||Daily||R100||R50|
Good to know
- Online tickets can be purchased and printed from any computer, or shown on-screen on a mobile device.
- SANParks Wild/ My Green Cardholders enjoy a 20% discount (only available from the ticket office).
- Online tickets are valid for seven days from the chosen date (except early-access tickets), and can be refunded during this period.
- If you buy your tickets online, you will still need to queue at the entrance.
- The Wifi Lounge at the top station is open for coffee, tea and water, while the kiosk at the Lower Station sells sandwiches, salads and an assortment of cakes.
- We recommend you visit the real-time weather update section on the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway website on the day you’d like to ride to make sure the weather is playing along.
- Wear your mask.
- Practice social-distancing.
- Make use of the sanitisation stations.
- The cable car will carry 26 passengers (including the Cabin Master) at a time.
- For adequate ventilation inside the cable car, the windows will be open.
- The handrails of the cable car will be sanitised between each trip.
- A deep clean of the cable cars will be conducted daily.
Date Monday – Sunday
Times 8.30am – 4.30pm
Cost Birthday special: Free (SA residents only)
Normal rates (valid until 30 September 2021):
From R200 (adults)
From R100 (children 4 – 17 years)
From R50 (SA senior citizen)
Free (children 0 – 4 years)
Discover all of the Cape’s hidden gems – subscribe to our weekly newsletter.