Perfectly pretty living on the water’s edge.
Overlooking a sea of waterlilies, with magnificent views over meadows, fynbos-covered hills and mountains, this new cottage at Stanford Valley Country Lodge is about as idyllic as it gets. The aptly named Waterblom cottage is built right on the edge of a dam, so the soundtrack to your stay will be a varied symphony of dawn birdsong, dusk frog-croaking and the occasional whinnying of horses grazing nearby.
A classic whitewashed cottage with wooden ceilings and stone and timber detailing, the stylish interior has touches of mid-century modern design in the furnishings and lighting, and plenty of artworks on the walls. Everything revolves around the glorious deck, where you can read and siesta in peace, cook meals over the coals, and enjoy sundowners in the water’s-edge hot tub. A path leads off the deck to a tree-shaded, garden-bower dining area.
Waterblom is set apart from the other Stanford Valley cottages, so it’s a little more private, but all of the Lodge’s lovely facilities are still close by – and there’s a host on call to bring you drinks, organise picnics and meals at the Manor House Restaurant or treatments at the on-site spa, and to help with whatever else you need. It’s just the spot to relax and recharge, with wonderful fresh-air activities – from serene swims and gentle strolls to a network of biking trails exclusively for guests.
- 2 bedrooms (one with king-size bed, one with queen-size)
- 2 ensuite bathrooms (one with a bath, one with a shower)
- fully equipped kitchen, with gas stove and dishwasher
- open-plan living room with dining table and fireplace
- furnished deck with built-in braai
- wood-burning hot tub
- outdoor shower
- serviced daily
- coffee-machine and homemade rusks
- welcome bottle of bubbly and farm-baked bread
Things to do
- swimming in pool or dam
- exploring the farm
- mountain-biking trails on site
- meals at the Manor House Restaurant
- picnics (catered baskets)
- spa and sauna on site
- art gallery on site
- wine-tastings nearby
- shops, markets and more in Stanford (10km) and Hermanus (34km)
Good to know Bookings are being taken from 1 December 2023.
Child friendly? Yes, over 12 years
Pet friendly? No
Cost From R5 800 per night
Where to find it Stanford Valley Country Lodge, R326, Stanford, Overberg
CHECK AVAILABILITY + BOOK DIRECT
Discover all of the Cape’s hidden gems – subscribe to our weekly newsletter.