Heritage Day is a time to celebrate, remember and pay tribute to the diverse mix of cultures and traditions that have contributed to the rise of our beloved rainbow nation. So, it’s rather apt that !Khwa ttu, the San Culture and Educational Centre, is hosting a four-day festival at its camping and adventure ground on the West Coast.
Guests can look forward to a long weekend of food stalls, family-friendly activities and cultural tours, all geared towards commemorating South Africa’s earliest known inhabitants. And, if you’d like to stay over, there is accommodation in camping sites.
Celebrate the spirit of Africa at the !Khwa ttu Heritage Festival
In addition to !Khwa ttu restaurant, where diners can enjoy locally inspired dishes, such as eland burger and spekboom soup, there will be:
- Weskus braai
- Khwa ttu herbal-tea tastings
- food stalls with traditional West Coast offerings (including halaal offerings)
- pop-up food demonstrations, such as how to make koeksisters (sweet, plaited golden pastries)
- Kids’ Zone with face painting and arts & crafts activities
- treasure hunts
- San-inspired storytelling
- tractor rides to a replica San village
- demonstration of San animal-tracking and other nature skills
- Family Fun Run (22 September, 9am)
- Mountain Bike Fun Ride (24 September, 9am)
Culture and entertainment
- San language lessons
- traditional San dancers
- live performances by Cape Town-born hip hop musician Emile Lester Jansen
- collaborative performances by Norwegian musician Arne Hiorth and Kalahari Connection
- informative talks on San history and culture
- complimentary access to !Khwa ttu’s world-class interactive Heritage Centre
!Khwa ttu camping experience
The festival presents an opportunity to immerse yourself in the West Coast wilderness. In addition to luxury camping units, !Khwa ttu will be making 40 camping sites available at a reduced price – for this weekend only.
These beautiful campsites are located close to the activities, and amenities include toilets, showers and braai facilities (though no power outlets), allowing you to can relish the tranquillity of evenings spent under the stars.
Don’t miss out on what is sure to be an adventurous and educational weekend at !Khwa ttu!
Book your festival tickets online (by choosing which of the four days you wish to attend), where you’ll also have the option to add your Fun Run or MTB Fun Ride, as well as reserve accommodation at one of the camping sites.
Good to know
- Two children under the age of 18 will gain free access for every adult ticket purchased.
- Access to all activities at the Heritage Festival is included in the price of admission, except for the Family Fun Run and Family Mountain Bike Ride, which must be booked separately.
0861 321 777