Since it opened in August 2018, this wildly popular Harrington Street haunt hasn’t had an empty seat. But given the current lockdown restrictions in South Africa, Belly of The Beast, like many other dining hotspots, has pivoted from a restaurant to a delivery joint.
Run by passionate owner chef Neil Swart, alongside long-time friend and co-owner Anouchka Horn, the fine-dining restaurant that used to serve just 20 guests per night is continuing this tradition by making only 20 meals per day – delivered straight to your door by their friendly waiters – for your enjoyment at home.
A curated menu of five courses ensures lovers of expertly crafted dishes can still receive their culinary fix. As Neil Swart explains: “Cooking dishes on a small scale enhances the depth of flavour of each element.” That, it does.
Fine-dining to your door
For R450 per person, you’re treated to a number of excellent courses, as well as a bread service and an after-dessert delight (“a last hurrah”, as Neil calls it). In addition to wine orders and an a la carte menu coming soon, there’s a family menu for R450 for two people.
Although the menus are subject to change, diners can expect the following dishes:
- bread course to share: Kabous#2 (their starter dough) with burnt onion dust, wood-fired baba ganoush with roasted tomato oil, biltong-flavoured pickled onions and crispy carrots, chicken-liver parfait with apricot compote and fresh dill
- local venison to share: gemsbok carpaccio with sesame-ginger mayo, homemade ponzu, Togarashi, wasabi oil and rice crisps
- local fish: cured yellowfin tuna with sticky rice, Korean BBQ, avo and cucumber
- Karoo lamb: lamb rib, green-bean mash, crispy onions, pumpkin tart with toasted pecan nuts, honey juniper and truffle butter
- dessert: peanut-butter bar with pretzel ice cream, peanut-butter and golden syrup sauce
Upon ordering, you will receive a menu with heating instructions as the food is already cooked, so all that’s left for you to do is sit back and enjoy your expertly prepared meal!
Good to know A Sunday lunch option is available from the last week in May, for delivery between 11am and 1pm.
Delivery to The CBD and Atlantic Seaboard; northern suburbs every alternate week; southern suburbs every alternate week.
Delivery fee Tasting menu and family menu: R50 delivery fee within a 5km radius or R100 within a 25km radius (orders close day before).
A la carte menu: R50 delivery fee within a 5km radius (order on the day).
Do you offer a delivery service in the Cape? We and our readers would love to know about it. Get in touch with us at email@example.com