Since it opened in August 2018, this wildly popular Harrington Street haunt hasn’t had an empty seat. But given the current Level 4 lockdown restrictions in South Africa, Belly of The Beast, like many other dining hotspots, has pivoted from a restaurant to a delivery joint.
Run by passionate owner chef Neil Swart, alongside long-time friend and co-owner Anouchka Horn, the fine-dining restaurant that used to serve just 20 guests per night is continuing this tradition by making only 20 meals per day – delivered straight to your door by their friendly waiters – for your enjoyment at home.
A curated menu of five courses ensures lovers of expertly crafted dishes can still receive their culinary fix. As Neil Swart explains: “Cooking dishes on a small scale enhances the depth of flavour of each element.” That, it does.
Fine-dining to your door
For R450 per person, you’re treated to a number of excellent courses, as well as a bread service and an after-dessert delight (“a last hurrah”, as Neil calls it). In addition to wine orders and an a la carte menu coming soon, there’s a family menu for R450 for two people.
Although the menus are subject to change, diners can expect the following dishes:
- bread course to share: Kabous#2 (their starter dough) with burnt onion dust, wood-fired baba ganoush with roasted tomato oil, biltong-flavoured pickled onions and crispy carrots, chicken-liver parfait with apricot compote and fresh dill
- local venison to share: gemsbok carpaccio with sesame-ginger mayo, homemade ponzu, Togarashi, wasabi oil and rice crisps
- local fish: cured yellowfin tuna with sticky rice, Korean BBQ, avo and cucumber
- Karoo lamb: lamb rib, green-bean mash, crispy onions, pumpkin tart with toasted pecan nuts, honey juniper and truffle butter
- dessert: peanut-butter bar with pretzel ice cream, peanut-butter and golden syrup sauce
Upon ordering, you will receive a menu with heating instructions as the food is already cooked, so all that’s left for you to do is sit back and enjoy your expertly prepared meal!
Good to know A Sunday lunch option is available from the last week in May, for delivery between 11am and 1pm.
Delivery to The CBD and Atlantic Seaboard; northern suburbs every alternate week; southern suburbs every alternate week.
Tasting menu and family menu: free collection; R50 delivery fee within a 5km radius or R100 within a 25km radius (orders close day before)
A la carte menu: free collection; R50 delivery fee within a 5km radius (order on the day)
Please note Deliveries will be made on Wednesday – Sunday, 12pm – 5pm; and Wednesday – Saturday, 12pm – 8pm for the a la carte menu coming soon.
Do you offer a delivery service in the Cape? We and our readers would love to know about it. Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org