These alfresco Winelands lunches are perfect for a socially distanced day out.
Steeped in history, Joostenberg Wine Estate in Stellenbosch is home to The Kraal – a beautiful countrified restaurant famous for its heavenly home-style lunches served in a wonderfully laidback setting.
Situated in a stone-walled courtyard, once the farm’s cattle kraal, the restaurant serves alfresco lunches all summer long. Guests are invited to take a seat at one of the charming tables dotted among wild olive and fruit trees and enjoy a delicious farm-fresh meal with friends and family.
A set three-course lunch, prepared by chef Ruan Nagel, is served every Saturday and Sunday. Comprising the finest locally sourced, organic ingredients, the seasonally driven menu changes weekly, but diners can expect the following:
- freshly baked breads
- starters: a selection of sharing plates, such as warm asparagus with vinaigrette, summer vegetable crudité, and seafood croquettes
- main course: braised wagyu beef shin with salsa verde and a selection of vegetable sides
- dessert: strawberry salad infused with mint and lemon, sorbet, tuile, and date balls
Cost R385 (adults)
R180 (children 5 – 12 years)
Free (children 0 – 5 years)
Book through DinePlan
What’s on at The Kraal
Throughout summer, The Kraal will be host to a series of celebratory events in its beautiful courtyard:
- Valentine’s Weekend Celebrate the coming harvest with a Greek-themed feast. Think free-range organic goat from Lowerland prepared with fresh, flavourful, summer herbs and served on a table groaning with vegetables, grains, honey and fruit.
View the Valentine’s menu
Date Lunches on 13 & 14 February 2021
Time 12pm – 2.30pm
Cost R385 per person (three-course lunch)
- Ink and Wash Art Workshop by Cathy Milner. A full-day, immersive art experience for all creatives, whether novice or old hand. The event includes coffee and pastries on arrival, refreshments, a Winelands lunch and all art materials.
Date Saturday, 20 February 2021
Time 9am – 5pm
Cost R1 200 per person
If you’re looking for a fuss-free, gesellige lunch, you’ve come to the right Kraal!
Good to know Children are welcome, but there is not a separate children’s menu. Booking is essential.
Uncover the hidden gems of the Cape – subscribe to our weekly newsletter.