The bohemian flair of this beachside suburb in Cape Town is captured in this characterful market which, true to Muizenberg’s quirky nature, is situated in an old postal plane hangar. Artisans, artists, bakers and brewers gather every Friday for a vibrant night market that brings to mind New York’s buzzy East Village.
The unique venue gives the market an urban edge, while the laid-back vibe makes it perfect for a family outing. Even dogs are welcome (please keep them on a lead), and children will have plenty to keep them occupied, with their own play area (that includes a jungle gym), as well as various activities, such as face-painting, glitter and sand art.
But That’s Not All…
Some of the fabulous stuff you can expect:
- An arts, craft and fashion section that sells clothes, ceramics, jewellery and beauty products. Traders include Aeroplane Jane Vintage (for vintage clothing), SBC Ceramics, Nelipot Creations (for customised jewellery) and Aether Apothecary and Herbalist.
- Bunga Bunga’s lip-smacking flame-grilled steaks, topped with a secret spicy herb sprinkle, and served with grated coleslaw and rocket leaves.
- Empanadas: delicious South American-style stuffed pastries.
- Delicious desserts and sweet treats, such as handmade chocolate bars from Babycakes Chocolates, and creamy fudge by Sweet Dreams.
- Grub’s Gourmet Burgers.
- Handpicked South African wines.
- Craft Beer on tap
So, leave the worries of your week behind, and join in the festive revelry at the Blue Bird Garage Market on Friday evening.