These private beer-and-food pairings are a fun (and informative) way to chill with friends.
So, even if gin is the new black, there’s a bunch of us at The Inside Guide who are staunch devotees of the craft beer movement. Which is why we just had to remind you about these private beer-tasting sessions at one of our favourite hotels in the Cape: Twelve Apostles. Head sommelier Gregory Mutambe has teamed up with the hotel’s executive chef, Christo Pretorius, to bring you a perfect pairing of craft beers and ciders with delicious canapés.
The educational, but fun, tastings will give you the chance to learn more about premium brews, and how to pair them with food. Groups of between two and 20 people can book a session at either The Leopard Bar (up to 10 people), or the Conservatory (11 to 20 guests). Five (mostly local) brews will be available for tasting.
A typical tasting might include:
• chicken liver granola with Boston’s Van Hunks Pumpkin Ale
• springbok loin with CBC’s Amber Weiss
• yellowfin tuna with CBC’s Krystal Weiss
• oxtail croquettes with Brewers &Union’s Unfiltered Dark Lager
• Granny Smith apple dessert with Orpens’ Apple Cider
You can book up to 24 hours in advance for a session (subject to availability).