If you’re looking to take a trip back to Victorian times head to The Railway Market in Elgin for an Art Deco steampunk-themed experience with a wonderful selection of stalls, including food, drink, jewellery, clothing, ceramics, and much more.
An old apple warehouse has been converted into an expansive indoor market, with elaborate metal archways, overhanging bridges and lanterns providing the backdrop.
Steam train to the market
Enhancing the old station feel is the arrival of a steam train every Saturday (and Sundays in December), courtesy of a partnership between the Elgin Railway Market and Ceres Rail.
Few things are more romantic and enjoyable than a steam-train ride through the countryside… And with Ceres Rail’s fleet of steam trains (namely Jessica and Bailey), you get the full train experience, complete with travelling comforts.
Says Derick du Toit, co-founder of the historic Ceres Rail Company: “The ride to Elgin is one of the Cape’s most scenic routes and has the added bonus of stopping at the steampunk-themed Elgin Railway Market.”
Since the barn is located right next to the railway tracks, market-goers get to watch the old beauty roll in, chugging away just like the industrial powerhouses of old.
There’s live music at the market throughout the weekend, and plenty of activities to keep children entertained, such as a jungle gym, roundabout, and even indoor and outdoor climbing walls (gear and safety taken care of by the folks at Cape Canopy Tour).
And we haven’t even talked about the vendors yet! At Elgin Railway Market, you’ll find a wide array of delicious things to eat, drink and purchase. Some highlights include:
- J&J Sushi for rolls, wraps and sashimi
- Pudding and Pie for pies, tarts and quiches
- The Curry Pot for fine curries, bunny chow and samosas
- Ground Central Coffee for home ground java (remains open throughout the week)
- Corlie’s Italian Kitchen for pizza and pasta (also open on Wednesday evenings)
- Sovinho for a selection of excellent Overberg wines
- #Rollin for ice-cream and waffles on a stick
- L-Gin for artisanal gin cocktails
- Shelley Taylor Designs for statement jewellery
- BlueMing for lovingly curated treasures (excellent for gifts!)
- Book Bus for previously-loved reads for young and old
The steam train bound for Elgin departs from the Harbour Bridge Hotel in Foreshore, Cape Town at 8am. It arrives at the market at 11.30am, giving passengers time to explore before heading back to the Mother City in time for a 5.30pm arrival.
|Tickets are available for the following dates in 2020|
|Saturday, 28 March||Unavailable|
|Saturday, 4 April||Unavailable|
|Saturday, 11 April||Unavailable|
|Saturday, 18 April||Book Now|
|Saturday, 25 April||Book Now|
|Saturday, 2 May||Book Now|
|Saturday, 9 May||Book Now|
|Saturday, 16 May||Book Now|
|Saturday, 23 May||Book Now|
|Saturday, 30 May||Book Now|